Entrepreneur and campaigner Salussolia 'thrilled' by OBE
16 June, 2012
Pub, hotel and restaurant entrepreneur Peter Salussola has been awarded an OBE in the Queen's Honours List for services to hospitality. As well as heading up the family-owned Foundation Group, Salussolia has been prominent in industry politics for over 20 years, including being the ALMR's longest serving chairman.
"This has come as a total surprise to me, infact I am still in shock. I'm thrilled," he said of the news.
Salussolia's Foundation Group, which he runs with son Alex, spans restaurants and hotels as well as a chain of pubs and bars, predominatly in London and the South East.
He created the Waxy O’Connor’s chain of Irish bars, which operate across the UK, and owns the UK franchise for Rainforest Café, opening the themed restaurant on Shaftesbury Avenue. He has also established the Carlton Hotel Collection as a significant hotel group in Holland and Belgium.
Salussolia is a long-standing campaigner, supporter and champion of the hospitality sector, and of fellow operators in particular, through his role as a founder, chairman and more recently vice-president of the Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers, which he helped set up 20 years ago as a national business group for entrepreneurial pub operators.
Peach founder Peter Martin, a long-time friend and colleague of Salussolia, said: "Peter’s approach to issues, which have sometimes taken the ALMR into disagreements with others, has always been one of polite persistence and determined charm rather than aggression. This has brought him respect and friendship across the industry and no little success for the association. Its current standing is credit to him, and he has been perhaps the most constant and influential presence within its ranks."
• Other industry people honoured by the Queen include an OBE for Whitbread hotels and restaurants boss Patrick Dempsey and MBEs for Tim and Kit Kemp, founders of the Firmdale Hotel chain, and for chef Paul Gayler.
- Market like-for-likes up 1.7% in November
- NEW Peach Report is out now
- Jim Sullivan - London date and venue confirmed
- Stay-at-home socialising beats going down the pub
- New openings: Tossed, Dunkin Donuts, Wetherspoons, Giraffe, Itsu, Abokado, Prezzo, Carluccio’s
- New openings: Benugo, Benito’s Hat, Franco Manca, Cleaver, BrewDog, Ed’s
- New openings: Bill’s, Young’s, Wetherspoon, Giraffe, Walkabout, Cosmo, Fuller’s, Leon
- Bacon and Forrester take Icon accolades at Peach Awards
- Luke Johnson wins Peach Special Award