New openings: Giraffe sticks neck out beyond UK; new-look Pret
23 May, 2012
Giraffe is to open its first non-UK store after signing a franchise deal to open in the UAE and Middle East. Pret a Manger, YO! Sushi, Jamie's Italian and French Bubbles are among the other operators with opening plans this week.
Giraffe’s agreement with Emirates Leisure Retail follows a five-year search for a partner in the region. Co-founder Russel Joffe said: “We are delighted to announce the international expansion of Giraffe and our first launch outside of the UK. We have been searching for the right partner for about five years and chosen carefully to find the right fit for us. We see it as a natural step forward for the business as we look to grow our international presence for the first time.”
Pret a Manger has set a course for the future with a new opening on Hanover Square in London with much more seating than previous launches (pictured). Pret has also opened over the last couple of months at King’s Cross, Covent Garden and St John Street in London, and a second branch in Aberdeen.
Champagne supplier French Bubbles is to launch the Champagne and Fromage concept on Wellington Street in Covent Garden by the end of May. The shop will sell artisanal cheese and champagne and will have a 30-cover French bistro. It follows a pop-up venue run by French Bubbles.
YO! Sushi is to open in the Friary Street shopping centre in Guildford. The 1,650 square feet site will open on 4 June and becomes YO!’s 62nd UK site.
Jamie’s Italian will open its first Ireland restaurant in Dublin this autumn. Work on the 4,500 square feet Dundrum Town Centre restaurant will begin soon.
- John Lewis brings in café brands
- Tragus hits T2 with La Salle
- New openings: Bill’s, Young’s, Wetherspoon, Giraffe, Walkabout, Fuller’s, Leon
- Big Easy to double up in London
- New openings: Sticks n Sushi, Slug & Lettuce, Brunning & Price, Rex, Nando’s, Wagamama
- Liverpool’s ‘Brewery Village’ gets the nod
- Street Feast hawks new concept
- New openings: Wagamama, YO! Sushi, Be At One, Nando’s, Burger & Lobster
- Subway takes design upscale, opens in Asda